Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Shower Situation

Do you remember gym class in Jr high and high school? All the insecurities of your changing body-do you "measure up" to the other girls/guys. You were self-conscious! Some coaches required you to take a shower, others didn't. But if you didn't then you'd be the smelly kid! The shower stalls were big, OPEN, humiliatingly pretty much right out for everyone in the locker room to see you. I would always try to wait until most everyone was done and then sneak to the farthest stall away. I had lunch right after gym so I was late everyday for my lunch! It's a lot of pressure to put on a girl or guy!
Well-I feel like I am having deja vous! When I am done working out everyday I go right to work, so a shower is necessary. The stalls are about the same-very open, anyone walking in can see you. There are a couple in the back but the stalls are smaller so you must change outside of the stall. So at first I went for those first of course. At first it took me about 30 min to shower, dry, get dressed, and then dry my hair/make-up,etc. As time has gone on I have realized that A. There are all types/sizes of women there B. NO ONE IS LOOKING! In fact if someone accidently looks they get embarrassed and turn away quickly. So now I change right by my locker instead of going to the changing room (unless there are a group of women standing there-how rude), I walk around with a towel, I use the upfront, more spacious showers, and I only take about 20 min total to shower and get ready. This leaves more workout time and/or more time to get to work, get to my desk, open my programs, read my e-mail, etc.
My daughter has started a new semester at Jr high, and guess what? She now has gym and is going through the same things I went through! It was funny for me to share my stories with her, although she wasn't amused. More like mortified by the whole thing. Poor kid-one day she'll look back and laugh!
Just thought I'd share........

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

I am so glad to be beyond (well beyond) those days!

8:43 PM  
Blogger delilah said...

Me Too.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

Not me.... It was always kind of fun trying to smack someone with a towel... until you got caught by the coach or teacher.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home