Monday, May 01, 2006

Please help make a difference!

It's that time again, time to vote. I have been very vocal before about my thoughts on voting, so I wanted to get this reminder out and share a story. So tomorrow is election day. I don't know about your area, but in mine there are several issues on the ballot that affect schools in my city and social services, the library, etc. There is also a vote for governor as well which I am heavily opinionated about but will not get into! No there is NO PRESIDENTIAL election, but this time is even more important to vote because it directly affects your community! It is just so important to exercise the rights we have in our ever-changing country before we they are taken from us. Please do it!
As for my story...

In my city there has been a lot of controversy because of these 3 judges. They retired their post and are now collecting their retirement pensions. Well, they decided that they would run AGAIN this year to get their posts back. EVEN THOUGH they are retired, EVEN THOUGH they are collecting their pensions! They wanted to get elected to their posts again and begin earning their salaries on top of everything else. So you might be thinking, why get worked up over this, who would vote for them? I am astounded by the # of supporters they have. This subject came about months ago, and now it's like people just forgot about it. Well I was disgusted and decided that I would not vote for them on principal, but I was a little unsure which judges I would vote for. They all stood for issues that I believed in, but no one really stood out. Yesterday we had a knock at the door and it was one of the judges walking through the neighborhood to talk to people. He was dressed in a nice white shirt and dockers and had kinda slicked back hair and right away I was like, "Oh brother." He was giving me his speel and he had a little boy with him. I said oh I see you have a helper and he said it was his nephew. Now on the pamphlet he handed me he had a nice picture of his family but they were not with him. I kinda looked funny at him about it I guess because he right away said "Oh I have an army walking around the neighborhood, my family is there-you probably saw them walking around." I said no I hadn't. Anyways, we talked briefly about his biggest issue and what he stands for and briefly talked about the city. He told me his background, it was funny, I felt like I was interviewing him for a job, which I kinda was. I thought he sounded good but still wasn't really sure if he would get my vote. OK so later the girls and I went on a long walk all around the neighborhood. We went to the beach across the street and there were a few picnics there. I noticed that judge and his "army" was in force there. They had a big spread with grills hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. It was like the whole campaign team there. In the middle of it all, white sleeves rolled up, surrounded by 15-20 kids, there is that same judge throwing a football to the kids and frisbees. They were not like, "on display" it seemed so genuine. I looked at that and smiled and thought, buddy you got my vote!! (I have also swayed some of my family to vote for him too. FYI his name is Jeffrey Smith 7th ward Lorain, Ohio)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home