Friday, March 03, 2006

Say what you mean-Mean what you say!

That was advice I used to hear from ex-boss. She is quite a piece of work! She is tough as nails, a workoholic, and expects everyone else to be as well. She puts her work ahead of her family, and once when we had a meeting we had to go to in Orlando for a week-I was going through a messy break up and told her I had no one to watch my then 7 mo old baby and could not attend. Her reaction to me was, "I'm sorry-did you think you HAD a choice??" YEA- she was something else. She hired me, and really motivated me in the beginning before I knew her better. She really pushed me to be better than my best, and to do it for self-satisfaction rather than financial reward.(boy was I a sucker) Anyhow-throughout the years she was/wasn't my supervisor, and in the latter year of my position there-she was. She was the most hypocritical person I have ever met, totally unfair/unethical, and played favorites. When I finally caught on to her it was hurtful, I looked up to her. When I caught on to her I was DEFINITELY put on her shit list. But I will say despite those things I still try to use the "valid" things I learned from her, including that advice.
I hate depending on others, it's horrible! Have you ever made plans with someone to go somewhere, that you had to be there at a certain time, and you were late because you were waiting on them? Or someone made plans with you and just never followed through? I am trying to instill the importance with my daughter. She is on the safety patrol at school and is required to be there at a certain time before school. Even though I wake her up 3-5 times in the morning, force her to go to bed earlier so that she CAN get up on time, constantly push her and remind her to get moving, we are still usually late! I try to make her understand that she is being depended on, and how would she feel if my dad who picks her up from school was late everyday to pick her up? I am not sure she gets it, but hey I try. I do also have this friend that I recently came back in contact with. We used to be really good friends before I started dating my now ex-boyfriend. He wasn't very happy with me having "guy" friends, and I do get that. So anyhow, my friend and I started talking again about 6 months ago. We talk maybe 2 or 3 times a month, occasionally go out, but not all the time. He constantly makes plans and doesn't follow through, or says he's going to call at a certain time and won't. It is very annoying and makes me think, hello do you think your time is more important than mine? It is a horrible feeling! So I always try to be dependable. When I say I'm going to call, I call. When I say I'll meet you, I do-on time. When I say I'm going to do something, I do it.
I can't stand wishy washy crap. Don't try to "protect" me or cradle mean-just spit it out. This applies to my job a lot. At the beginning I was evaluated every week. I know I was doing a good job, but if I made an error my boss would like dance around it, to the point where I didn't even realize that it was wrong! I want to be successful and if I did something wrong, tell me so I don't do it again! I try to be upfront and honest as much as possible. Some people might say that is bitchy, but they probably never met Cathy. It's all in the delivery. She has brought people to tears, male and female, with a single blow-myself included! Get a blow from her and THEN try to call me a bitch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home