Thursday, September 29, 2005

Happy Birthday Leith! 9/29/72(finale)

So I had gotten the call that I wanted! It was my sophomore year, I was almost 16, and I was having a blast!
It was September 1989- Leith and I talked every night. It seemed like before I really knew him he was so shy and just the hot 1-liner guy, but now he seemed so deep. It seemed like we had too much to say to each other, so much in common. The more we talked, the more I liked him. This week I had to get my school picture taken. I distinctly remember this because I had it taken with a huge HICKEY on my neck. It was not from LEITH but from JASON!! The guy at the party that basically latched on to my neck as I tried to run away from him. Oh by the way he is also a good friend of Leith's! But he just laughed about it. It was time for Frontier Days in Naples. There were rides, carnival games, booths, and it all kicked off with the parade. Leith wanted to see me on the weekend and I told him I would be marching in the parade. He said he understood. See I was in marching band-I was in the flag/dance corp and we marched after the band and did our little routine. I was a "captain" at this time so I was right in front. It was a totally hot day and all the spandez, sequins, BOOTS, and 10# flag didn't help. We had marched about 2 miles when I saw we were near the end!! This was the spot that we stopped and did the big routine. We set up into the formation along with the band and who do I see in the spectators??? Of course Leith and Gonz! They had come to watch me. I can't think of a time when I was more embarrassed. The flag routine was one thing- I mean we had to throw in in the air and everything. But I was also completely sweaty, red-faced, and the best part, I had to do a split!! I made it through but still cannot live it down. After we marched to the end and everyone went their separate ways we had to wait and talked to our band director. Leith waited with me and we talked about doing something after the parade. It turned out he only lived 1 street away from where we were, and he wanted me to come to his house!! I told him I had no other clothes, he said his sister would let me borrow some, that was- IF I was his girlfriend!! I smiled and said that I was! Just then some man came up to us and asked us our names and ages. He was a reporter for the newspaper and took a picture of Leith "shielding us from the sun" with my flag!!(I still have the picture) WE laughed and as soon as we could, left for his house. Now this was a funny sight to see Leith and I walking, me dressed in full flag uniform, and Gonz skateboarding while holding my flag in the air and singing(screaming). When we got to his house I met his mother and sisters, all of whom I immediately loved. They were all sooo outgoing and friendly, and it just felt so comfortable. They teased Leith about bringing a girl home and the way I was dressed, but it was funny. His sister, who was 2 years younger than me, let me borrow some of her clothes. I had to push Gonz out of the room and finally changed out of the ORANGE and BROWN SPANDEX SEQUIN OUTFIT!! When I was done, I opened the door to see Leith standing in the doorway. That's when we had our very first kiss!!!


Okay it may seem like I am still obsessed with this person, but actually I have just really been totally wrapped up in my past as a whole. In the far past(here) and the not so distant past(6 yrs ago). Not just about Leith or just past boyfriends, but also friends I truly miss and just old times. I really wanted to get the beginning of "our story" out now because today is Leith's birthdy!! And then tomorrow is OUR CHILD's birthday!!!...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew where this story was going, but I couldn't wait for the next installment!! You're such a great writer--you should write novels!! Or maybe just a book about your life!!
Tell Cate Happy birthday!!

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home